"President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the department to inspect the 900,000 business establishments across the country to know if they are complying with Executive Order 51 that prohibits illegal contracting and sub-contracting," he said.
Inspections were to cover “all parties including cooperatives,” he said, adding that the report, which should be submitted in 30 days, has already been given to the President last Friday.
"Binigyan namin ng paliwanag ang ating Pangulo na hindi talaga namin nakayanan yung mag-inspection doon sa 900,000 business establishment throughout the country. We only have about 500, a little less than 600 labor law compliance officers."
"Kaya ang nag-inspect lang namin so far ay 54,000. Out of which, doon sa report, merong 3,337 non-compliant companies," he added.
Bello said companies which do not comply with the executive order are involved in various businesses—including hotel, retail, and malls. "We are talking of violations of labor-only contracting companies."
Bello said non-compliant companies will be ordered to follow the provisions of the executive order. Otherwise, they will be forced to do regularize their contractual workers, like what he did to PLDT.
"They have a little over 8,000 employees, e, about 90 percent puro mga contractual. At saka yung service providers nila, puro labor-only contracting."
"So we advised them to regularize. Nung hindi sumunod, I declared all their workers as regular workers and they have to pay all the dues, all the benefits as provided by law," he added.
Duterte earlier admitted that an executive order was not enough to put a stop to "endo" (end of contract) and illegal contractualization.
He said Congress has to enact a law amending the Labor Code in order to effectively resolve the problems brought about by contractualization. —LBG, GMA News